The mission of the FoodWIse is to develop and implement community-based nutrition education programs for limited-income individuals and families. Education is provided in collaboration with numerous community partners around the following topics:
- Choosing and preparing nutritious meals and snacks.
- Handling food safely.
- Managing money and resources to improve food security.
Feeding Young Children:
- Health and Nutrition Information for Preschoolers – ChooseMyPlate.gov, Children 2 – 5 years old
- Health and Nutrition Information for Kids – ChooseMyPlate.gov, Children 6 – 11 years old
- USDA Resources for Nutrition and Health – ChooseMyPlate.gov, Find out how much of each food group you and your family members need.
- Kids A Cookin – Discover great recipes for kids and family fun activities
- Body and mind wellness activities created just for kids
- Dole Superkids – Contains activities for kids on how to eat more fruits and vegetables. It also includes free lesson planning materials for teachers.
- Purdue Extension Choose My Plate Resources – Material available for purchase on nutritional guidelines for children
- We Can! National campaign to prevent childhood obesity – Several materials to keep kids active, find nutritious & tasty meals and make sure you are feeding your kids what they need to be strong and healthy.
Food Safety Websites:
- FoodSafety.gov – Resources on government food safety information
- The National Center for Food Preservation
- Fight Bac! – Features food safety information for parents, students and educators. Many free materials available.
- Purdue Extension Food Safety Resources – Access a food safety tips DVE and “Food Safety and Your Curriculum” package for purchase.)
- Food Safety for Kids & Teens – USDA site with educational materials on food safety for kids and teens.
- Be Food Safe – Four easy lessons of “Clean, Separate, Cook & Chill” that help prevent harmful bacteria from making your family sick.
- University of Wisconsin – Extension food safety & preservation information
- USDA Food Safety Information – Federal safety information to keep us safe.
Healthy Food Choices and Physical Activity Web Sites:
- Let’s Move! – America’s move to raise a healthier generation of kids from the United States Department of Health and Human Services
- Choose My Plate Super Tracker – This site allows you to keep track of your physical activity and food intake to help you make adjustments for a healthier lifestyle.
- Nutrition Access Across the Spectrum of Aging – An American Dietetic Association position paper
- Core Nutrition Messages – Helping Moms and Kids Make Healthier Food Choices – The core message from the USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service.
- Purdue Extension Human Nutrition Handouts
- The Food Label and You – The United States Food and Drug Administration’s guide to using and understanding the nutrition facts label.
- Nutrition.gov – Information on healthy eating and physical activity.
- Fruits and Veggies Matter – Calculate the amount of fruits and vegetables you need based on age, gender and activity. Find recipes, learn how to add more variety to your diet and budget tips to eat healthy without breaking the bank.
If you have any questions regarding WNEP in Langlade County, please contact: